Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Hummingbirds are back!(Video Included)

If you haven't put your hummingbird feeder out, now is the time to do it.

In North Carolina, the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds return from Central America and Mexico in April. It's May 7th and I've seen hummers around my azaleas and deck feeder.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird feeding from Butterfly Bush


Video showing Hummingbird Feeder activity

Hummingbirds are carnivores and devour insects. The nectar fuels their flying and is not their sole source of food.

Some Ruby-throated Hummingbirds winter along the Gulf of Mexico. There is even a small band that remains on the Outer Banks of North Carolina over winter. Since I live in North Carolina, I would love to hear more about this anomaly.

I found this website to be a good source of information on the Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your professional comments.