Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Eastern Phoebe Nest with Video

Eastern Phoebe

Eastern Phoebe at Birdbath



I've always admired the Eastern Phoebe with its dark cap, white breast, and flicking tail. Imagine how thrilled I was to discover a nest on a gutter elbow under the roof of my home.

Phoebe nests are built with mud and vegetation. This nest utilized the abundance of moss in the yard.

Phoebe nest on gutter


The nesting pair communicates with short chirps. Even though it was 30 feet in the air, they did not approach the nest while I was observing. There appear to be 4-5 chicks.

Below is a 1 1/2 minute video showing the nesting phoebes being fed by their parents.



If you are watching from an iPad or other device, this video can be viewed here.

Phoebes are members of the flycatcher family. Their appetites for insects are welcome in this neighborhood.

The phoebe can also be heard making a wolf whistle. I have a lot of fun answering the whistle of  a bird at the end of my street.

In a previous post I've remarked on the distinctive call of the bird (fee-bee). A recording is available at that post. I have read that call is strictly for mating, and ceases once the bird finds a mate. As I’m writing, I can hear “fee-bee” so I suspect that’s not true.


Phoebe flies in to feed young

Parent Phoebe at nest


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your professional comments.