Friday, May 3, 2013

Many Ants on Peonies

This is the time of year my peony plants become heavy with buds...and ants. Years ago, I had been told that the ants perform a function that helps  the peony blossom. A quick web search indicates this is not true. The ants are enjoying the nectar secreted around the bud.



To avoid carrying ants inside with cut peonies, I carry the vase and a bowl of soapy water outside. I cut the peony knocking off visible ants. Then I take a paper towel dipped in the soapy solution and wipe off any emerging ants.

I place the cut peony(s) in the vase and let it sit outside for 10 minutes. Usually a few ants will come out of the flower. I knock these off with the paper towel. I give the cut peonies another 10 minutes and then take them inside.

Peonies are delightful perennials to have in the garden. Each year, the number of blossoms increases. If your peony is not blooming, the plant may be planted too deep. Peonies prefer a shallow bed. A peony plant can last for generations so it's well worth the initial investment.  The North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service has information about peonies on its website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your professional comments.