Friday, May 31, 2013

Herbs I Know????

As a Franklin County Master Gardener, there have been several opportunities to talk to groups about herbs. Unfortunately, I am not a herb expert. My family has ferocious appetites, but no requirements for delicate flavoring. Let's just say that if ketchup were an herb then I might be a herb expert. Growing herbs, therefore, is not a priority in my garden. Growing tomatoes and squash to fill growing kids' bellies has to take priority.

PEPPERMINT

There are a few herbs that are familiar to me.  For years I have let peppermint run rampant around my bay window and deck. These were places with poor drainage where nothing else seemed to grow. The peppermint is winter hardy, and revives with warmer weather. I had heard that rodents avoid peppermint hence the planting around the house foundation. I have flavored my ice tea with peppermint leaves. When my stomach felt off, I have chewed on the leaves. I love the peppermint aroma when I pull up spreading vines.



BASIL

Basil is easy to grow and compliments tomato-based dishes like spaghetti or tomato salad. I have grown it in pots on the deck and alongside vegetables in the garden. It seeds readily so there's almost always baby plants popping up the next year. I have saved dried basil for winter soups and spaghetti sauce.

ROSEMARY


Rosemary is a grass-like herb on a stem. You pull the thin leaves off the stem and flavor chicken or potatoes. There seems to be a trend in using rosemary as a landscape bush.  I can literally pick sprigs of rosemary after I visit the local shopping center.

LAVENDER

The lavender scent has a reputation for encouraging relaxation. It is dried and used in potpourri.  I do like the smell of lavender, but my patch has very little scent.

CHIVES

Chives offer an onion-like flavoring to foods such as baked potatoes. They are easy-to-grow in pots or ground, and return yearly. We rarely use chives so we are rewarded with beautiful purple flowers.


I hope you enjoyed my brief herb summary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your professional comments.