Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Lamb's Ear: it's a soft thing








Many years ago I took my preschooler sons to the Joel Lane House in downtown Raleigh. We toured the colonial era home and small garden.  The tour guide pointed out the low growing, whitish plant called Lamb's Ear. She explained that because of its softness, it was used as toilet paper.

Later, I succeeded in growing my own Lamb's Ear. This plant is drought hardy and exhibits beautiful pink flowers as early as May. It tends to spread in the garden.

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I am a new, but avid gardener, and I just took on a project of cataloging the plants at the college where my mom works. I knew as much to call this one lamb's ear, but I can't find the special botanical name. I'm wondering if you know what it is. I can't find it anywhere else on the web, and I though you might have the little tad leftover from planting it.
    Thanks!
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Master Gardener Book lists the scientific name for Lamb's Ear as Stachys byzantina.

      Good luck with your project!

      Delete
    2. Okay, good, that's the same name that's come up a few times in my search results. Thank you for your help!

      Delete
  2. I kept digging on the internet. Finally I discovered it isn't a Stachys at all! It's Silene coronaria (also Lychis coronaria). It's a type of carnation. I love figuring out exactly what it is. :) Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very similar plants. Here's a good article on the differences:

    http://www.mayesh.com/Blog/tabid/67/EntryId/50/Identifying-Dusty-Miller-Stachys-Verbascum.aspx

    ReplyDelete

Please share your professional comments.