Thursday, July 12, 2018

Mother of Tadpoles


While we were out of town in May, some rainwater accumulated on the pool cover and frogs laid eggs. Before draining the cover, I scooped up the eggs in a couple of large plastic cups.

The next day I had two cups of tadpoles! This began my job as "Mother of Tadpoles."

Tree Frog

Frogs and toads throughout the world are fighting a deadly chytrid fungus. Anytime I have the opportunity to save a frog or two I pitch in. Because my family had seen tree frogs around the pool, our guess was that these were Gray Tree Frog tadpoles.

I set up a habitat in a rectangular plastic bin and placed it under a deck canopy for shade. A couple of large rocks and floated grasses provided cover. I had 100 tadpoles.

Tadpole Habitat

Research of tadpole diet listed flies, mosquitoes, worms, and grubs. I thought feeding would be easy because after a few days it became apparent that I was also "Mother of Mosquitoes." Yes, large numbers of mosquito larvae were also in the habitat. They swam right in front of the tadpoles without fear. For good reason. My tadpoles had no interest in eating mosquito larvae.

This latest discovery was upsetting since many diseases are carried by mosquitoes: West Nile Virus and Zika to name a few. Bug bites were common enough without me adding to the mosquito population.

I cut a piece of screen and covered the habitat. In this way, I could prevent more mosquito eggs from being laid in the habitat. It would also keep the mature mosquitoes from escaping. If I was lucky, the tadpoles would have an appetite for mature mosquitoes. Unfortunately, the screen obscured the view and enjoyment of the tadpole habitat.

Screen obscures view of habitat but keeps mosquitoes out

Early on I learned that the tadpoles would eat pill bugs and earthworms. They preferred this "food" to decompose for a couple of days before eating.

Process of Straining Out Mosquito Larvae

Close Up of Tadpoles

After 3 weeks, I strained out the tadpoles to remove the mosquito larvae. This reduced the mosquito larvae by 75%. The latest count was about 50 tadpoles.


As the weeks slowly passed ( it could take 4-8 weeks for the frogs to develop), I maintained a schedule of feeding every other day. I added the food in the corner by unclipping the screen to avoid the escape of any mature mosquitoes.  In week 4, I was down to 25 tadpoles. My numbers were down, there were no dead tadpoles floating around so read between the lines. The 25 tadpoles swimming around were getting big and healthy. Yes, they had to be eating other tadpoles. Sad. It was disappointing that they would eat their brothers and sisters, but let mosquito larvae dance right before their eyes.

Tadpoles Week 5

Week 6 - I counted about 20 tadpoles in the habitat without legs.

Week 7 - Tadpoles are pencil eraser size. I am going away for a week. In preparation, I remove the screen and place a log and stick in the habitat. If the tadpoles complete their transition to frogs, they will be able to leave the habitat.

Tadpoles Week 8

Week 8 - I return from vacation and count 10-15 blueberry-sized tadpoles. One tadpole has legs and a long tail. The others are legless but very plump. I am happy that I will see them leave as frogs. The habitat contains mosquito larvae. The growth of these tadpoles is at the 2 month mark. This has been a longer project than I anticipated. I feed the tadpoles earthworms, and replace the screen to keep the mosquitoes in check.

First Frog to Leave Habitat

Exciting news! The afternoon of the day I wrote the Week 8 update above, one of the tadpoles completed its transformation to a frog. It was so small it resembled a dab of mud on the lip of the habitat container. It is very delicate and petite when compared to the tadpoles. I removed the screen for the frog to make its way out of the habitat. It stayed on a log for several hours. Later it moved to a spot on the habitat lip protected by a potted plant. The next morning it was gone. There are around 17 tadpoles left. 2 appear to have legs. The first frog was one day short of 2 months old - two months since it hatched from an egg in a plastic cup!

Cleaning Day

Week 9 - I began the 9th week with a cleaning of the habitat. I used a toy insect net purchased from the Dollar Tree. Each tadpole was carefully scooped up, separated from mosquito larvae, and placed in a temporary holding container. I was happy to discover the population count to be 20 tadpoles with one-third having legs. The next morning a small froglet with a stubby tail had moved out of the water. It seems they will be maturing into frogs very quickly now.

Froglet Resting on Side of Habitat
Tadpole Habitat July 2018

Week 10 - The tadpole count this week was 12. Since tree frogs are nocturnal, it seems that some frogs have been leaving the habitat unobserved. This morning I photographed a very agile froglet scrambling onto a branch. He still has a tail stub, but looks ready to leave. I had to replace the screen cover to discourage mosquitoes. One side of the screen is open to allow frog migration.

Froglet Week 10

After two months of this project, I realize the maturing of my tadpoles will be gradual and might  continue for another two weeks.

Froglet on Lemon Balm Plant Week 11

Week 11 - I checked the habitat each morning and frequently found froglets along the container sides. Since the habitat screen was open to some potted plants on one corner, the frogs could mature to "land" life in the backyard. As before, mosquitoes took the opportunity to lay eggs in the habitat. I spent some time transferring the tadpoles to a clean container and dumping the mosquito larvae. This will probably be the last "big" cleaning I'll need to do. I have 9 tadpoles left and all but 3 of them have legs.

Froglet on Plant Pot
Week 12 - In just a few days, this tadpole project will be 3 months in duration. Over the last two weeks, 1-2 froglets liberated themselves from the tadpole habitat each morning. Only one stayed on a potted plant long enough for photographs. Being Gray Tree Frogs, their instinct is to head for the trees.

For 3 days, I have had only one tadpole left. He was noticeably smaller than the others.  He has not started growing legs, but has a good appetite and is now a normal "pre-froglet" size. I anticipate his metamorphosis will take another 5-7 days.

Treefrog Just After Metamorphosis


Week 13 - The last tadpole didn't make it. He died quietly in the habitat. This has been an interesting project. 3 months passed from the time I collected the tadpole eggs. Out of 100 small tadpoles, 19 made it to the frog stage. I can only guess that mortality in the wild is even higher. It's clear that anytime we have a chance to help a frog survive, we should lend a helping hand. These guys have a tough life as tadpoles with drought and predators.


Juvenile Tree Frog
To read more about Gray Tree Frogs click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your professional comments.