Friday, September 4, 2015

Human Behavior and Bugs - The Touchability Factor



Brown Marmorated Stink Bug on Tomato- Garden Lady Blog



Why can I touch one insect, but cower in fear from another?


What makes a bug too repulsive to handle?

In my vegetable garden I pluck stink bugs off tomatoes and drop them in jars of soap water. I've discovered this is the quickest way to get rid of them.
Stink Bug Close Up - Garden Lady Blog
Squash bugs are a slightly longer and faster bug that I need gloves to touch. I pick up centipedes to remove them from the house, and can handle lady bugs. Daddy-longlegs are easy to grab by one long leg and carry out of the house. They are harmless and slow. Most spiders scurry away and are difficult to identify. I wouldn't pick those up.
Squash Bug - Garden Lady Blog

Recently dry weather has driven large wood roaches into my home. These insects fill me with revulsion and fear. Normally a do-it-yourself-er, I called in a pest control company after sighting a half dozen of these. I will not touch them, but, I can squash them under my shoe.

Wasp - Garden Lady Blog

Factors that make a bug too repulsive to touch:

  • Excessive wiggling or other movement (like Japanese Beetles)
  • Danger of stinging or biting (wasps, for example)
  •  Large size (wood roaches)
  •  Unknown Species

6-spotted Green Tiger Beetle - Garden Lady Blog
There are some bugs that I admire very much, but would not touch. Praying mantis, dragonflies, and butterflies are in this group. Years ago I was told handling butterfly wings would damage them permanently. (My article on identifying butterflies found in the southeastern U.S. is here.)

Spicebush Butterfly - Garden Lady Blog

Praying Mantis - Garden Lady Blog
Monarch Butterfly - Garden Lady Blog
I am fascinated by the fact that I touch some bugs and cower in fear from others. What do you think? What is your experience handling bugs? I would love to hear about it. Sincere comments will be published. Anonymous and spam-like posts will be deleted. Have a great day!

If you enjoy photographs of bugs, check out my portfolio at: http://www.istockphoto.com/portfolio/PamSchodt.

Advertising on this blog supports my writing. By clicking an ad, you are under no obligation to buy. If you see an advertisement of interest, please click.

1 comment:

  1. Whhen the roach smells the sweet odor, it will quicklpy climb up the ramp and
    fall into the container. Combining methods will help bring the infestation under control faster,
    and eventually eliminate roaches from your home altogether.

    Microscopic ear mites live inside the ears of rabbits,
    ferrets, cats annd sometimes dogs.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your professional comments.