Thursday, August 8, 2013

My Favorite North Carolina Wildflowers


Asiatic Dayflower



The bloom on the Asiatic Dayflower is only 1/2 inch long. Upon close inspection, it's a beautiful royal blue flower resembling an orchid. The foliage consists of healthy green leaves that tend to be invasive. My crop appears in clusters along my gravel driveway.The name alludes to the fact that blooms appear only during the day .

White Yarrow



I seldom see the blooming on my White Yarrow, but the feathery, fern-like greenery is a favorite of mine. I had a cluster start along my garden gate, and transplanted some of it to other areas. I've heard it described as invasive, but that hasn't been my experience. One of my reference books calls this plant Common Yarrow.


MYSTERY PLANT-CAN YOU IDENTIFY?


This plant has small delicate lavender flowers mounted on top of a triad of fuzzy leaves. It is blooming now (August in North Carolina).


At the base, large leaves lie flat on the ground. A stalk grows about a foot tall and holds the flower stems.


This image shows a group of the flowers clustered among my azaleas.

I have checked my reference materials, and have been unable to identify this plant. It may be in the Plantain family. Please comment on this blog if you know the name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your professional comments.