Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My Victory over Japanese Stiltgrass


Around 1919, Japanese Stiltgrass, sometimes called wire grass, was used as a packing material for goods imported from Asian countries. It made its escape and has been invading North American landscapes ever since. The plant has grown rampantly on our property for at least 17 years.  My horse refused to eat it.  In wooded areas, it displaces native plants. 
 Japanese Stiltgrass 


 In the lawn, mowing hides its weedy appearance.  In the perennial flower bed, however, the Stiltgrass takes over by growing tall and obscuring plantings. Because the grass is growing adjacent to beloved perennials (liriope, sedum, pampas, hosta, false dragonhead, periwinkle, peony, iris), I’ve never considered chemical control a possibility in the flower bed. 


 While listening to a Master Gardener lecture, I realized I could treat the Stiltgrass with a grass killer that would not harm broad leaf perennials. My only concern was the other grass-like plants in the garden with the stilt grass: liriope, pampas, and iris.

Liriope and iris are unaffected by Ortho Weed- B- Gon. Pampas grass, being an ornamental grass, would be affected and care needs to be taken when spraying around it.

I used a convenient premixed spray bottle, and sprayed the Stiltgrass in my flower beds. Where growth was heavy, I hand-pulled grass prior to spraying. The results were amazing. In one to two weeks, the Stiltgrass died off.  I’m thrilled to have a weapon against the Stiltgrass.

Japanese Stiltgrass Area after Treatment

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your professional comments.